Many people first engage in social action by jumping in the deep-end and figuring it out as they go along, often with little support. Even when we’ve been active for many years we can find ourselves grappling with problems in isolation. Mentoring provides a helping hand and listening ear, from someone who has been there themselves. Mentoring provides a confidential space to reflect on challenges you face, build on your strengths, and consolidate learning.
Each mentoring session is different, depending on your needs. Sessions can include skills practice, campaign analysis, interpersonal skills development, role-plays and other activities. Plan to Win’s mentoring supports you to do your best thinking, and contributes additional ideas and resources to replenish and equip you in your important work.
Some of the topics that can be explored in sessions:
- Goal setting
- Time management and prioritisation
- Campaign strategy
- Campaign communications and framing
- Community organising skills
- Facilitation and education skills
- Building effective teams, supervising and delegating
- Activist ‘career counselling’: finding direction and purpose
- Interpersonal issues, conflict and emotions in activism
- Sustaining activism: managing stress, accessing support and pursuing work/life balance
I’m thankful for the opportunity to work one on one with Holly as my mentor. It was great, she’s remarkable! It’s lifted my skills and planted the seed for me to continue improving.
- Mack, climate activist