The Effective Action Training Day at Ross House on Saturday 30 June went off!
Thanks so much to Sarah Day and the other Ross House folks for organising such an informative and engaging day. I ran an Introduction to Campaigning workshop, and was pleased to be part of the programme with fellow travelling folks Nicola Paris, Tim Norton, Aidan Ricketts and more.
If you missed the day these resources will give you a taste of what was covered. If you were there – maybe you’re itching for more! Check these out, and share your comments and queries below.
Introduction to Campaigning
- This article makes a great case for campaigns: Campaigning for Social Change: beyond just protesting for it! by Daniel Hunter, Training for Change. Daniel is an excellent US activist educator who has recently written a book, using his experiences of campaigning as a way for others to learn. Help get the book published by signing up here.
- Some great insights into campaigning and community organising from the 100% Renewables Campaign – a case study shared at Melbourne Campaigners’ Network.
- The Change Agency has an excellent collection of campaign strategy resources.
- Aidan Rickett’s Planning and Mapping Your Campaign.
- Frameworks for Winning Change – models for how change comes about through social movement action.
Facilitation and Group Process
- Great resources from UK co-operative Rhizome, and lots of interesting blog articles on the art of facilitation and consensus decision-making.
- Facilitation at Occupy Melbourne – with insights relevant to other contexts too.
- If you’re a facilitator, and interested in learning more, check out the Australasian Facilitators’ Network and Victorian Faciltiators’ Network.
- Resources for Nonviolent Action from around the world.
- The Power of Nonviolent Action by Daniel Hunter
- Gene Sharp’s 198 Methods of Nonviolent Action.
- Waging Nonviolence – people-powered news and analysis.
- Two articles from Tim Norton, Oxfam Digital Campaigns Coordinator, from his presentation to Melbourne Campaigners’ Network last year.
- Formulating a Digital Campaign, Tim’s slides from the training day.
Activist legal rights
- The super comprehensive Activist Rights website from Fitzroy Legal Service.
- Spy vs Activist – resources on activist security and surveillance.
Sustaining the Movement & Self-care
- Hey Activists, R U OK? Tips for looking out for each other and setting our groups up well.
- Aidan Rickett’s Empowerment and Personal Sustainability.
New to activism?
- Check out these tips!