Trainers and facilitators play a vital role in social movements – helping people to gain the clarity and skills they need to make change in the world.
Australia has a small and creative social movement support sector but it would be wonderful to see many more people step into this role!
To address this Plan to Win is offering a 2.5 day train-the-trainer workshop for people keen to facilitate and educate in social movement contexts.
Dates have now been confirmed for the new year:
12th – 14th February 2016 (Friday evening – Sunday afternoon)
Central or inner-north Melbourne – venue tbc
Save the date!
The workshop will be an entry into an ongoing network of activist trainers. It’s open to people who have experience both as activists (in many different ways) and with group process (facilitating meetings, decision making, training, team-building etc).
This is an opportunity to learn from Holly Hammond’s extensive experience with social movement groups, including ten years specifically focused on activist education and facilitation. Find out more about Holly.
The workshop will focus on developing skills to run effective and engaging campaign training sessions. It will include:
- exploration of different approaches to education
- reflection on past training and facilitation experiences
- techniques for nurturing group dynamics that support learning
- designing experiential workshops using the Spiral Model approach
- understanding mainstream and margin dynamics in groups
- trouble-shooting common challenges and practicing new techniques
- self enquiry and development in order to hold space and work sustainably
Fees will be set shortly – sponsors are sought to increase access by interstate and low income trainers.
To express interest fill in the contact form with ‘T4T’ in the subject line.
For those who can’t wait there are three more opportunities to boost your skills as trainers and facilitators.
Introduction to Activist Training Skills
5:30-9pm, Wednesday 4 November
60L Building, 60 Leicester Street Carlton
A short session to build a network of activist trainers, share the contexts we’re all training people in, air some challenges and learn practical tips.
In this short session we’ll:
- start a network of activist trainers
- share the contexts we’re all training people in
- air some challenges
- learn practical tips for better activist training
- have dinner together
This session will be an opportunity to find out more about the February training and input your priorities.
$25-$50 depending on means, includes dinner. Register here.
Mentoring Sessions for Activist Trainers
In October and November one-to-one sessions are available for activist trainers, with priority placed on Skype sessions for trainers outside of Victoria.
Sessions can be used for support with any aspect of training including planning workshops, debriefing challenges, and building confidence.
Special rate of $50 per hour, includes follow up training materials.
Learning how to be a skilled activist educator takes more than one workshop. Plan to Win is experimenting with a more intensive program for one or two trainees. The program will include:
- participation in numerous workshops
- supported facilitation practice
- one-to-one mentoring
- volunteering on PTW projects and
- potential for some paid work
Fill in the contact form with ‘T4T’ in the subject line for further information.